Everyone likes a good shoe. Even modern worship leaders seem to be striving to create an emotional show with lighting, fog machines, and even lasers. However, the real power of Christian faith isn’t in an emotional show.
Many people seek a similar experience that happened to the people in the book of Acts. When the Holy Spirit came and could be seen, felt, and heard. There has been a huge controversy in various Christian circles over the need of tounges or other evidence of the Holy Spirit’s power coming on people. So, why the show here? What evidence should show the Spirits empowering?
First, God’s Spirit has always been and He has empowered his people since the start of time. Here are a few examples in the Old Testament:
So Samuel took the horn of oil and anointed him in the presence of his brothers, and from that day on the Spirit of the Lord came powerfully upon David. Samuel then went to Ramah. 1 Samuel 16:13 NIV https://bible.com/bible/111/1sa.16.13.NIV.
In reference to Samson- Then the Spirit of the Lord came powerfully upon him. He went down to Ashkelon, struck down thirty of their men, stripped them of everything and gave their clothes to those who had explained the riddle. Burning with anger, he returned to his father’s home. Judges 14:19 NIV https://bible.com/bible/111/jdg.14.19.NIV
God’s Spirit comes upon people throughout time to enable them to do the things God has planned for them. It gives the encouragement internally. It gives the ability not by human means to do a special act for God.
On the Day of Pentecost the Spirit came upon the 120 gathered in wind, fire, and earthquake. Then they were empowered to speak other languages, so that the crowds gathered from around the Roman world could understand the message of Jesus. We see often in their travels people would be anointed to speak in other tounges, as witness to those around.
The anointing and empowerment amazed all the people. Some were so amazed they made fun and even accused them of being drunk. When God is moving it can’t always be understood easily by our small minds at times.
So, what does this all mean for us? Does God still empower or anoint people today? Should we expect the fire and earthquake?
What can be learned for all followers of Jesus about being anointed by the Spirit?
- God desires to anoint His people for strength and serving.
- Anointing is usually for the purpose of empowering us to do God’s work in the world.
- Anointing can be for personal strength, but most often is to serve God or the community of Jesus followers.
- Since the end result is most often a service for God anointing may not show in the exact same manner each time.
- No one should assume there experience with God is the way other people should show or give evidence of being anointed.
- Remember Jesus’s stated purpose of the Spirit coming:
Be encouraged that God wants to anoint everyone, and the Spirit comes to us all when we accept and follow Christ. Special anointing may come on us to help us be witnesses of the Gospel to the world around us. Those anointing will be what is needed for us to carry His work and witness out for the moment it is given.
For Thought & Discussion
- Must God always anoint everyone in the same manner?
- What is the biggest reason God anoints people with His Spirit?
- What if any ways have you experienced or seen of God’s Spirit showing in your life or others around you?
- Should we fell less of a Christian if we haven’t had some special experience?
– May God bless you on the journey today